Overview of Services
Hanson Bridgett attorneys have extensive experience advising companies and individuals regarding contaminated properties. We are adept at recovering costs from other responsible parties and insurance carriers. We offer practical solutions based on decades of experience with all types of properties—from gas stations to federal Superfund sites.
What Sets Us Apart?
Experience. Decades of experience with the most contaminated properties in California, including highly sophisticated transactions and redevelopment projects for some of the largest companies in the country.
Our clients include publicly traded companies, regional and national developers, property owners and small businesses, food companies, public agencies, and private investors.
Broad Expertise. We have wide-ranging expertise encompassing the major regulatory agencies in California, including Regional Water Quality Control Boards, the State Water Resources Control Board, DTSC, and local regulatory agencies, as well as experience with the cleanup of federal Superfund sites. Our expertise includes:
- Superfund site remediation, cost recovery litigation, and cost allocation
- Soil vapor intrusion
- Cleanup of contaminated sediments impacted by hazardous substances such as PCBs, heavy metals, and PAHs
- "Brownfields" redevelopment projects
- Groundwater contamination and treatment, including related litigation
- Site closure
- Real estate and M&A transactions involving contaminated properties, including preparation and negotiation of environmental and indemnity agreements
- Military base closure and redevelopment
- PLL policies (both negotiation of terms and tender of claims)
- Emerging contaminants: Per- and Polyfluoralkyl substances (PFAS); 1,2,3-Trichloropropane (TCP)
- Lead-based paint and asbestos abatement
- Response to Regional Board regulatory enforcement
- Represented publicly traded company in regulatory matters and private cleanup cost allocation arbitration related to investigation and remediation of major Superfund site in EPA Region 4
- Advised aerospace manufacturing company regarding the investigation and remediation of groundwater contamination and potential vapor intrusion issues at its facility and represented company in regulatory matters with the Regional Water Quality Control Board
- Represented public entity in large-scale remediation of lead contamination under DTSC supervision
- Advised private investors regarding potential environmental liabilities associated with acquisition of assets of bankrupt San Francisco manufacturing company
- Represented property owner in lease negotiations for commercial/industrial property subject to environmental investigation
- Represented guarantor in loan negotiations for major development of property subject to environmental indemnity provisions
- Represented water district affected by PFAS; successfully concluded four-year effort to resolve PFAS-impacted groundwater issues with amendment to Federal Facilities Agreement
- Represented real estate developer in litigation against adjacent property owner and dry cleaner operators seeking damages stemming from long-term groundwater contamination