Hanson Bridgett’s premier employment law group regularly defends complex class action employment actions for its clients, handling exclusively management-side litigation for employers. We work with our clients to develop practices and policies aimed at averting class, collective, and PAGA actions. We leverage our breadth of knowledge and extensive experience to advise clients effectively on risk management and class action avoidance strategies, such as training and compliance audits tailored to their specific industries. Some of the matters that our employment class action practice group handles include:
- Wage-and-hour class actions and Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) collective actions involving misclassification claims, overtime pay, bonus pay, regular rates of pay, reimbursement claims, off-the-clock claims, and donning/doffing claims;
- Meal and rest break class and representative actions that allege CA Labor Code violations and seek multiple penalties, such as wage statement and waiting time penalties;
- Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) representative actions and claims alleging violations of the CA Unfair Competition Law;
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) class actions challenging background check forms used by employers;
- Pattern-and-practice class actions alleging discrimination, harassment and equal pay claims brought under the CA Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), the CA Labor Code, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), and the Equal Pay Act;
- Class actions challenging reductions-in-force and layoffs under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Title VII and FEHA;
- Civil rights defense under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Titles II and III, the California Disabled Persons Act, the Fair Housing Act, FEHA housing discrimination, the Unruh Act, Title VI, Title IX and Section 1983 claims; and
- Retirement benefits class actions and privacy claims brought under federal and state constitutions.
We partner with our clients to reach their desired outcome in all matters, however small or large. We know our clients’ industries and find solutions to the operational issues that they face on a day-to-day basis. To achieve the best results for our clients, we listen to them and dedicate the resources necessary to understand their particular business practices that any legal claims implicate. Class actions can be financially devastating and operationally disruptive. Thus, we also recognize the value of alternative dispute procedures, and, when appropriate, will use those procedures effectively to accomplish our clients’ goals of early resolution.